June 2016 Road Trip Day 4 and 5

We woke up in Kentucky on Day 4 and went to sleep in Ohio that night. Traveling in our country is wonderful; there is so much to see and so much to do. You can go through so many states in one day. We are lucky to live in such a fascinating place.

We actually didn’t have a ton of stops planned for this day because I wanted to get to our hotel in Cincinnati for check-in so that we could get ready for the wedding. Our first stop was Starbucks, on the way to our second stop. I bought my one, and only, mug from the trip in Kentucky. I also purchased an iced coffee.

Our second stop was a Japanese Friendship Garden in Georgetown, Kentucky: Yuko-En. Since we spent two years in Asia, I go to places likes this with high expectations, and I’m usually underwhelmed. This garden was extremely disappointing because it is right next to a main road; not very peaceful, my friends. At the very least, it was free. We were only there for about 30 minutes and then we were back on the road towards Ohio.


Welcome to Ohio, it’s been waiting for you.


Turn in here to park.


20160611_102746 (1)

Our first stop in Ohio was the American Sign Museum in Cincinnati. I can’t even begin to tell you how cool this place is. The military discount brought each ticket to only $10. There isn’t a word to describe this museum’s awesomeness. We did the 11 AM tour and learned more than we could have ever dreamed of about signs and their history, our guide was very passionate about signs. The tour is a must do! There is free parking at the museum, as well. In what other city can you find free parking? They also do weddings. I told Jim if we ever get married again (to each other, of course) we are having it at the American Sign Museum.







We have never had Big Boy burgers


We really got into selfies this trip

I never wanted to leave the museum, but all good things must come to an end. After the museum we drove right down the street to Camp Washington Chili. We were told by our tour guide at the museum that it is the best chili in town. I had no idea what Ohio chili was until I asked our tour guide. He informed me that it is is chili and cheese on top of spaghetti…say what? Apparently, it’s Greek.  You have to try it. It is interesting, to say the least. There is also free limited parking in a lot behind the restaurant.



Small 3 way, with beans (yes, they call it that), and a Coney.

20160611_123116 (1)

After lunch, even though we were stuffed, we went to Aglamesis Brothers for ice cream, in Oakley Square. This place is a quaint, old fashioned soda shop built in 1913 and is currently run by third generation family members. We sat at the bar and had sundaes. It was a fun experience, and the ice cream was pretty good, too. I was bummed that the banana chocolate chip ice cream wasn’t ready to be served yet. Before out trip, we were told by a friend that Graeter’s ice cream is really good, too. We would have went there if it weren’t for the fact that the candy shop owner, from the day before, suggested Aglamesis.

After ice cream, we headed over the hotel. Nothing special, just a hotel. We kind of hate hotels now that we have been doing AirBnB (except Disney hotels, of course). We only stayed here because of the wedding shuttle. Let’s just say the hotel was full of kids on sports teams (and their parents) who kept us up well past midnight and the staff didn’t do anything about it. Someone also filled their cooler with ice at midnight, which was right down the hall. Who does that?

The wedding we attended was beautiful. It could not have been a more picturesque golf club with big open windows where the ceremony was held, as well as, the reception. I wish I would have stopped to soak in the sunset, and actually take pictures. The food was great (especially the dessert bar) and we had a lovely time catching up with people we don’t get to see very often.

Day 5 was blah. We woke up at 6:30 and hit the road by 7. It was a rough trip home. We stopped just outside of Pittsburgh to eat lunch at Hoss’s (because I’m obsessed) and made it home by 4 PM to a sick little boy. He was so happy to see us, which made me feel happy and horrible at the same time.  He basically just wanted to cuddle the rest of the night, and the rest of the week. He finally started feeling better around Wednesday and was completely recovered by Friday. (I’m blaming it on his teeth, as always.)

Where will we be heading next? Only time will tell!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s