June 2016 Road Trip Day 3 Part 2

If you haven’t read part 1 of day 3 of our road trip(Maker’s Mark Distillery), you can find it here.

After lunch in Louisville, Kentucky, we were off to Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory Tour. We parked in the Science Museum lot for only $6. When we went to buy tickets, I asked about a military discount, and we were both given free admission (it never hurts to ask even when you can’t find any information online); this was very unexpected and appreciated. Your museum ticket includes a tour of the factory, access to the exhibits, and a free mini-bat at the end of the tour. Tours start frequently and we only had to wait a few minutes to start our tour. Unfortunately, they do no allow photos during the tour. The tour is awesome. I learned a lot about Louisville Sluggers bats including: their history, how they’re made (past and present), and how many bats players go through during one season.




After the tour, we checked about the exhibits. I even got a few selfies.


What up, Jeter?


Just me and the Babe


After the museum we went over the bridge to Indiana. I had never been there before, so we found a town right next to Louisville to visit: Jeffersonville, Indiana. Our planned stop was Schimpff’s Confectionery: one of the oldest, family owned, and operated, candy business in the U.S.  The current, fourth generation owners, Warren and Jill, could not have been any nicer; Warren even gave us recommendations on what to do in Ohio the next  day. It was a really interesting stop and they were so passionate about their store; I just love that. We sampled popcorn and red hots. We also bought some delicious chocolate that we had to eat right away because it was very hot out. The candy shop is known for their red hots, hard candy fish, and modjeskas.



There is a free museum in the back of the confectionery. One of the few candy museums in the country.

After a fun stop at the candy shop, we headed back to Kentucky. We were on a hunt for the huge floral clock at the state capital, Frankfort. After driving around a bit, and asking a stranger, we found the clock. This clock is one of the largest in the world. It was pretty cool to see and it really does tell time. It was a beautiful place to go on the way back to our house in Berea, Kenntucky.



Our final planned stop of the day was at the Josephine Sculpture Park in Frankfort, Kentucky. The park is free and full of quirky sculptures. I think I would have enjoyed it more if there were less bugs or I had bug spray. I was also tired and hungry. Not a bad place to stop, just not the right time for me to enjoy it to its fullest.

After the park, we started our journey back to Bereu and looked for food along the way. We ended up stopping in Lexington, Kentucky, at Sutton’s Restaurant, an Italian eatery. The food was very great and so was the atmosphere. We didn’t get back to our house until 9:30 and by then we were ready to go to bed. Day 4 of our trip was our final destination: Cincinnati, Ohio.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s